Check out my new blog

Check out my new blog: Worthington Ave.

10.31.2012

Brain Cupcakes in a Jar

Are you ready for THIS! 
Ominous October Part 3!!
 
October has been CRAZIER than I thought!
with all this craziness... my Ominous October cami's cupcakes often got put on the back burner.... but I've got a couple more coming your way- on this HALLOWEEN NIGHT!

AHHHHHHHH!!!! I love this one!
"BRAIN FOOD"
These cupcakes were so fun!
I got the idea, and the printables for the jars from Living Locurto   (go ahead, click on this link!)
I had such a fun time baking cupcakes and sticking them in jars! 
However...they weren't the most delicious cupcakes I ever made... 
I made a vanilla cake and dyed it pink, then regular buttercream frosting and strawberry jam

Here is the recipe for the vanilla cupcakes I made:
It's based off a recipe from Annie's Eats... which I believe she adapted from The Joy of Baking... 
Here goes!

Vanilla Cupcakes
Ingredients:
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon (optional).... (I didn't use this... and I wish I had!!)
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup milk
1-1 ½ recipes easy vanilla buttercream frosting

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°.  Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.  Set pan aside.

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then, add the eggs one at a time and scrape the bowl-- beat well after each egg you add. Beat in vanilla and lemon zest.

In a different bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Then, with the mixer at low speed add flour and milk (alternating in small increments--start with flour mixture). Scrape the bowl. 

Fill muffin cups. Bake 18-20 min. Let cool on wire rack.  


**These were not my favorite vanilla cupcakes -- They were kind of thick, and didn't have the best vanilla flavor... One thing that I think would have helped is to use the lemon zest! I think the flavor of the lemon would make the whole cupcake feel lighter and help accentuate the vanilla flavor.... 

** Also the jam made the cake kinda soggy... so make sure to eat them right away!


 I only had 2 small jars to make the cupcakes in a jar... and a lot of extra batter... so I made separate BRAIN CUPCAKES!
Here's a pic of them! Aren't they cute!!! I really like them!
 
I got a variety of comments on these cupcakes! From "those look disgusting!" to "gross" and to "awesome"! I think they are AWESOME! 

I used more strawberry jam on these little Brainies to make it look like blood... and I piped the frosting by just cutting a piping bag to the size hole I wanted and squiggled it around a bit...

My frosting ended up a little thick though... so with a dense cupcake and thick frosting they didn't taste too great... so if you are going to make them be sure to make your frosting a little thinner!


I know you probably love these little geniuses as much as I do... so here's another picture of both together!!


 So next Halloween... I dare you... eat some brains...

Love,
Cami

No comments:

Post a Comment